Friday, July 29, 2011

Little gestures that touch my heart...


During my lifetime I've come to realize it is the little gestures that mean the most and make life special. Don is good at little gestures, which is one of the reasons I love him. Today he brought me a cluster of Trumpet Vine blooms and wished me an early Happy Birthday. Isn't it lovely?

Of course, it will probably be the only time he ever brings me Trumpet Vine since I informed him (after thanking him for it) that it is toxic and can cause a skin rash. It's even known as Cow Itch Vine! On the other hand, it's also known as Hummingbird Vine because the hummingbirds love it and that makes it a welcome plant on our farm. I also think it's quite pretty and am not to concerned about it being an invasive weed.

In the years we've lived on the farm Don has brought me quite a few wildflower bouquets, plus feathers, turtle shells, snakes (which is a bit disconcerting, especially when he brings them in the house), moths, and small bones. He usually wants me to identify the bones.

I love these little gifts. They let me know that when he is out walking the property I'm in his thoughts and in his heart every day. For me, this sprig of Trumpet Vine is far more special than a bouquet of flowers delivered to the door. This little toxic twig tells me he paused during his daily routine and thought about me, instead of making a hasty last minute save the day call to order something. No, my piece of Trumpet Vine is far more personal and I truly love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment