Sunday, July 3, 2011

Summer Sundays in the South...

Hermione relaxing on the back of the couch.


I'm so sleepy I can barely keep my eyes open. Just a typical summer Sunday here in the South...drowsy, slow and relaxed. Even the dogs are sprawled about napping. Drake's snoring isn't helping my eyelids stay up one little bit either!

Growing up in Alabama Sunday afternoon in the summer was my favorite time of the week. There were no chores to do and the whole afternoon was mine to do as I pleased. Mornings were spent at church, then home to a big dinner (that's what lunch is called in the South) and afterwards I could usually be found somewhere comfy with my nose in a book.

Things are different now. Don works on Sundays so it's just another weekday in our house. However, the afternoons still retain that easy going Southern atmosphere that I felt growing up. The whole world seems so still and quiet. The low droning of insects lulls everyone into a stupor and honestly, I think I'm going to head upstairs and take a nap!

2 comments:

  1. We always called our meals breakfast, dinner, supper when I was growing up. My parents are from Michigan, but moved to Kansas when I was three. Here in Kansas, it was thought strange to call it "dinner" in the middle of the day! We also sat on a davenport. A term my mom still stumps everyone with today. LOL It's a couch here in Kansas. I'm enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm use to dinner being the big meal, either lunch or supper time, depending. But I remember Sunday Dinner as that was the special meal of the week.

    Sorta sorry that Sunday is just another work day, but that does leave a week day available for doing things with others out of your way.

    The kitty looks so comfortable. I wonder if I look that comfortable when I'm sleeping?

    ReplyDelete