Friday, July 15, 2011

Mmmm...cupcakes!


I just enjoyed a yummy homemade chocolate cupcake. I don't make cupcakes often, but prefer them over cakes because those tend to get wasted here. I always find myself throwing out the last couple of slices because it has gotten old. Cupcakes are the perfect solution since there are only two of us. I freeze them and only take out the amount I think we'll eat in a few days. No wasted cupcakes for us!

In an effort to eliminate high fructose corn syrup and artificial ingredients (not to mention my meager efforts to cut down on plastics) I've stopped buying those tubs of frosting at the grocery store. Fortunately I came up with a simple frosting that is super easy to make...no measuring involved!

First, I allow about three ounces of cream cheese and a couple tablespoons of butter to soften. Then I use my handheld mixer to blend these until fluffy. Add a dash of vanilla flavoring and keep blending. Slowly add powdered sugar until the correct consistency is achieved. BAM...frosting! To make chocolate frosting I add cocoa, then start adding the powdered sugar. It's so good and so easy I don't think I'll ever make any other kind of frosting from now on.

Don likes a little dessert in his work lunchbox every day and a cupcake is perfect. The only problem is trying to stop myself from eating the rest of them! I've had my one for the day...hopefully I can keep my paws off the rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment